The City Crime Records Bureau is the Criminal Intelligence and Information Agency of the Police Commissionerates and an integral part of the crime-criminal information system of the State and the country. The main functions of the Bureau are:
- Compilation, maintenance, updating of criminal records and crime-criminal information system.
- Collect, record, collate, analyze, interpret and disseminate information about crime and criminals and the movements and activities of the district, inter-district, inter-state and international criminals;
- Remain in constant touch with the incidence of crime in districts, cities, railway police and other states also movements of criminals;
- Maintain detailed folders photos and videos in respect of each criminal gang and organised types of crimes.
- Maintain constant on-line communication with SCRB and make available by fastest means the information to the field officer, including at the scene of crime, besides acting as a reference point for all investigating officers and teams.
- Maintain the Computer Centre in the unit and regularly update the data pertaining to Crime Criminal Information System (CCIS).